Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Panini Everywhere!

I just learned today that "panini" is actually the plural form of the singular "panino" and it seems like my kitchen has been overflowing with panini these days. I was inspired by watching a clip of Everyday Italian where Giada makes 2 different kinds of panini. I tried just the first one, a panino alla margherita. It was really easy to make and I love the flavor of the fresh basil. It's as easy as making a grill cheese sandwich...really!
Panino alla margherita: (this is for one panino...but you'll want to make more)

2 slices of good Italian artisan bread (I used Pugliese I found at Costco)
2-3 slices of sliced fresh mozzerella (depending on how big your bread slices are)
2-4 fresh basil leaves depending on the size of the leaves
2 thin slices of tomato ( I used roma tomatoes)
some salt and pepper
and some olive oil for brushing

Heat your grill pan to medium-low. Brush olive oil on one side of a slice of bread. On the other side, layer the mozzarella slices and sprinkle a little salt on top of it. Then place the tomato slices and the basil leaves. Top it all off with the second slice. Brush that slice with olive oil as well. Place the panino on the grill pan and press it down with a grill press. The panino is done when the outside is golden brown and the cheese is all melted inside.

If you don't have a panini press or a grill pan and grill press you can just use a heavy skillet to press the sandwich down in the pan. It just won't have the nice grill lines on the outside.





No comments: